Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'm kinda on a little vacation from blogs and music and all that. It's really nice, but it won't last, I can already feel the itch to write some new tunes - and some new blog entries...

In the past few days I've been relaxing with Cheap Trick, 80's ELO - and, unbelievably, Elvira Nikolaisen. She's very hot in Norway, and my instinct is always to step away from that heat... if anything gets talked about, you can count on me to say, don't talk about it, 'cause it's nothing special. So I've been resisting Elvira ever since I first started hearing about her. Then one day I heard this song on the radio, liked it, then realized it was hers and went "bugger!". But there you have it - she has an incredibly beautiful and soothing voice - I love the timbre and texture of it - she writes nice tunes, and the arrangements on her album are extremely tasteful and mature, like you can't believe it's a debut album. She's from a musical family - I believe she has siblings in the rather charming X-ian glampunkers Silver and the very competent but somewhat overhyped Serena Maneesh or however you spell it. Elvira is singer-songwriter stuff, squarely. It's all very traditional and safe, but just so impeccably and lovingly done that you can't help but like it. I see it like this: In the 70's, the undisputable golden age of singer-songwritingism, the field splintered into two separate, easily distinguishable directions. You had Joni Mitchell on the one hand, harmonically and melodically adventurous, genre-mashing, lyrically trailblazing etc type stuff. My kind of stuff - the legacy continued through anyone from Rickie Lee Jones to Tori Amos. The whacky ones. Then you had Carole King. Now, don't get me wrong. She was great too. She had an incredible voice, she sang some of the greatest songs ever, and she put her definite stamp on the genre for millennia to come. But she worked within a traditional framework. She kept to the harmonic and melodic structures of traditional singer-songwriting, she stayed true to the time-honored lyrical themes. What Carole King did new, was simply that she outdid everyone else - she just did everything a million times better than they had ever been done before. So, THAT is where Elvira's at. She from the Carolian current of s-s-ing, and she does it darn well.

Did I mention that I'm on myspace now, and you can hear a couple tunes...
Here: www.myspace.com/opiumcartel

Later.

6 Comments:

Blogger insights for living said...

yo

2:50 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Myspace, Jacob...the 3 users I have control of: Magenta, Sonicbond and my woefully neglected personal site are all keen to be your friend...

Has White Willow got one as well?

3:16 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Sorry...if I'd read your profile properly I'd know the answer to that last question...

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Cheers Stephen! Now we're officialy friends :-)

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Morten said...

Hei Jacob.

Jeg gikk faktisk i klasse med Elvira på Westerdals og studerte grafisk design for noen år siden. Hun sluttet etter første året for å satse på musikken, så det er jo kjekt å se at det ordnet seg for henne.

Koselig jente, og slett ikke verst plate, selv om jeg syns den blir litt ensformig i lengden. Produksjonen kunne kanskje vært litt mer variert. Syns ikke Knut Schreiner har gjort så mye bra etter andre Kåre and the cavemenn plata, og vet ikke helt hva jeg syns om hans produksjons talenter..... ;-)

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! 97 dodge avenger carbon fiber hoods Vlan cisco router 1990 honda accord engine instant face lift Directions to hummer sports park home security chief and child sex scandal Phentermine overnight shipping Fat asses videos free free free peachtree accounting tutorial

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page hit counter